Planned Giving Welcome Meet Our Donors The Legacy Society Gift Calculator Contact Us Tip of the Week Designate & Donate
Ways of Giving Gifts Anyone Can Afford
Gifts From Will or Trust Retirement Plan Stock and Appreciated Assets Life Insurance Real Estate Personal PropertyGifts That Pay You Income Gifts That Protect Your Assets
At-a-Glance Goals & Benefits
Gifts of Stock or Appreciated Securities
Take advantage of appreciated securities while avoiding capital gains tax by making a donation of your assets.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to ALS.
- ALS sells your securities and uses the proceeds for our programs.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.
- More detail on gifts of stock and appreciated assets.
- Frequently asked questions on gifts of stock.
- Contact us so we can assist you through every step.